Skip to main content

IS MOUTH ODOUR KILLING YOUR SWAG?




HALITOSIS (BAD BREATH)
...by Patience Ewatomi Samuels
So today, I will love to write on bad breath or what is commonly known as 'mouth odour'.
**************************************************************
I work with Pritopat Dentals and this client walked in looking all sad and dejected. I had just come in for morning shift and could tell already that it’s going to be another great experience at work today. After I had settled in office, I asked her to be brought in and the consultation session began.
Me: “Hello Madam, how may I help you today”? I asked lovingly.
She gave me a long gaze, looking hard at me with teary eyes but I knew I just had to maintain my composure. Then she began to speak.
Client: “Ma, I need help, I really do. My family is falling apart and if I don’t get this help, my home will crumble and my four children will suffer for it. Please help me.”
By now she was already in full tears. It took lots of prodding and reassurances before she could pull herself together to narrate her ordeal. Hear it from the horse’s mouth:
Client: “We are now married for 13 years but it’s been more of enduring a hellish experience. My husband doesn’t touch me in many months, he sleeps in a different room and this lifestyle is killing me. He complains that my mouth smells bad and he dares not kiss me. He wouldn’t stop at that, he also complains that I have become too fat and haggard. My entire life is worse than hell and I feel completely miserable.
(She again broke into tears)
*******************************************************************
I see…
Now I have a clear picture of what the problem is and it’s my turn to help. I am always glad to do this. I started by listing out the problems over again (in my mind of course).
1. Bad breath (halitosis)
2. Too fat (Overweight)
3. Haggard looks.
Now that the problems have been identified, the treatment starts right away.
In this post, therefore, I will share with you a few things you need to know about halitosis so that you can help yourself or help a friend with the information. One of these too, we'll find out how to solve overweight and the problem of 'haggard looks' together.

Mouth odour is a highly embarrassing oral condition that is capable of shattering anyone's self-esteem. It is no doubt one of the highest murderers of self-confidence.
What causes halitosis?
Bad breath is caused by at least one of the following:
I. Dental caries (decay in the teeth)
II. Kidney diseases
III. Gastro-esophageal reflux disorders (GERD)
IV. Gum disease
V. Plaque accumulation in the teeth.
*GERD is a condition in which acidic content from the stomach flows back into the esophagus and even the mouth.
Diagnosing halitosis...
It could be quite difficult to diagnose halitosis on your own except someone tells you. However, if you must self-diagnose, simply leave your saliva on a plain surface till it dries up, then smell it.
How does one get rid of halitosis?
1. Treat it from its source.
2. Drink lots of water.
3. Have mouthwash/or mouth spray handy and use regularly.
4. Change your toothbrush regularly.
5. Floss regularly to get rid of food particles stuck in your teeth.
6. Get scaling and polishing done at least twice a year.
7. Clean your tongue from the inside out when brushing.
8. Brush twice daily: morning & bedtime.
9. Chew sugar-free gum.
10. Stay hydrated.
*Scaling and polishing is a painless dental procedure in which not only does your teeth get deeply cleaned, it also removes the dental plaques, stains, and microbes that get formed on the outer surface of the teeth. It’s a healthy way to get your teeth nicely treated.

Need help with any dental condition whatsoever? Pritopat Dentals is highly recommended
Did you glean value from this post? Let me know via comments. Got questions too? Ask away.
Patience Samuels is a Dental Nurse and a Personal Care Coach who delights in helping you look good, feel good, and stay confident!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY HUSBAND CALLS ME "FAT AND SHAPELESS" Part 1

MY HUSBAND CALLS ME FAT AND SHAPELESS...  This is a continuation of my previous article titled: Is Mouth Odour Killing Your Swag? Check it up and you will love it.  I wrote in the previous episode how a client lamented that her husband is used to calling her "fat and shapeless." Therefore, I will start this write up today by stating two prevalent mistakes many make on the journey to getting a desired body shape and their harmful side effects. These mistakes include: 1.       Starving yourself. 2.       Wearing very tight corsets or body shapers However, both are not advisable because first, you must eat! Most of our body organs work 24hrs every day, and there are some high energy demanding organs like the heart, the brain, the kidney, liver and such likes that require a high amount of energy to function efficiently. Whenever you are hungry, these organs are simply requesting for a fresh supply of energy to power their activities. You will be doing yourself a lot